There’s a lot to dislike about Jeff Sessions, the new Attorney General who was once deemed too racist to be a federal judge. Alongside the probability that he’ll use the Justice Department to undermine rather than support civil liberties, it’s important to note that he’s one of Trump’s key policy advisors. He and his staff played key roles in drafting many of Trump’s executive orders during his first weeks in office, including the refugee ban. The Washington Post has a good overview of Sessions’ policy influence.
Jeff Sessions is among the worst of Trump’s cabinet picks. His presence as Attorney General would undermine the Justice Department’s efforts to support civil rights. Representatives Suzanne Bonamici, Jim Himes, Joe Kennedy, and Kathleen Rice have put together a list of his troubling track record. Sign their petition against Sessions today.
- Sessions supports disenfranchising voters and opposed the Voting Rights Act.
- Sessions was rejected by the Senate in 1986 for a federal judgeship for making racist jokes about supporting the KKK.
- Sessions has a clear anti-LGBT agenda, campaigning vigorously against marriage equality, against gays in the military, and against ending workplace discrimination.
- Sessions has rejected protections for hate crime victims who are targeted because of their gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.
- Sessions opposed the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act.
- Sessions supports Trump’s extreme ideas like “the wall” and his Muslim registry ban.
Are you interested in making a charitable donation specifically to irritate one of Trump’s Cabinet nominees? Donate Bigly has identified a range of progressive non-profits which each nominee probably dislikes. They also provide contact information for each nominee, so it’s easy to make a donation “in honor of” that person. Support the ACLU in honor of Jeff Sessions, or the National Urban League in honor of Ben Carson, and they’ll hear all about it!